blueberry burst baked oat squares
recipe by emily white
extract from “from beder’s kitchen” (buy here)
preparation time: 10 minutes cooking time: 25 minutes makes 12
This super simple recipe is perfect for breakfast on the go or at home straight from the oven, and for those sweet tooth moments when you're feeling a little peckish but want something free from refined sugar!
- Preheat the oven to 200°c and line a baking tin with non-stick baking paper. I like to use a 23cm square tin to get 12 pieces.
- Mash the bananas then mix them with the milk and nut butter in a bowl.
- Stir in the cacao or cocoa powder and oats until combined, then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and flatten with the back of a metal spoon so it spreads out, reaching all the corners with an even thickness.
- Place the tin into the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes until firm to the touch on top. Leave the blueberry oat bake to cool on a wire rack, then lift carefully out of the tin and cut into 12 squares. Enjoy!
emily white (@gfree_emily)
“I had an eating disorder for nearly five years and have also struggled with anxiety. Baking and cooking were something I feared during my recovery, but once I started getting involved and being creative with my mum, I began to really enjoy it. Coming up with my own ideas and recipes gave me something to focus on, and cooking or baking for my family and friends made me realise that food brings us together and shouldn't be feared. It's so nice to finally nail a recipe and know that people enjoy it, and then you get to dig in too! “